Overview of the RPL & Credit Transfer
The Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is a pathway to achievement of an AQF qualification through learning achieved outside of formal education and training systems. RPL involves the assessment of previously unrecognised skills and knowledge you have achieved outside formal education and training. RPL is an assessment process that assesses your non-formal and informal learning to determine the extent to which you have achieved the required learning outcomes or competency.
An example could be a worker who starts work as a general factory hand and over a period of time works their way up to: second in charge of a shift; to shift supervisor; to floor supervisor. They achieve this through their efforts at work and by demonstrating their ability and competence to their employers, but have no “pieces of paper” (qualifications, certificates etc.) to actually show they are formally qualified (competent) to be a floor supervisor.
A Credit Transfer is a pathway to achievement of an AQF qualification through formal education and training. The process of credit transfer assesses the initial course (or subject) that the individual is using to claim access to, or the award of credit in, the destination course to determine the extent to which it is equivalent to the required learning outcomes, competency outcomes, or standards in a qualification. In credit transfer the judgement is about the learning program, outcomes and assessment in the initial course or subject.
Requirements of RPL
To be eligible for the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) you would need to answer ‘YES’ to the following questions:
- Have you completed informal or on-the-job training that might be relevant to the qualification or unit of competency?
- How recently did you learn your skills (in relation to the qualification or unit of competency) and can you still recall how to apply them?
- Can you prove your performance of these skills or that you possess this knowledge?
- Can you produce documents that confirm you are able to do this work? (E.g. forms, reports, etc.)
- If you were asked to demonstrate your knowledge and skills, would you be able to perform the task without prompting and meet the required standard?
RPL can be a time-consuming process for both you and the assessor who’ll be assisting you and assessing your supporting evidence. The Australian Management Academy will help you determine if you have a valid claim to RPL and provide you with evidence-gathering advice.
Please note, all the evidence that you submit in your RPL Application will be checked to ensure:
- It is VALID, i.e., relates to the relevant competency
- It is AUTHENTIC, i.e., can be verified as belonging to you- e.g., copies of certificates verified by justice of peace as true copies
- It is CURRENT, i.e., within a reasonable time frame, and
- It is SUFFICIENT, i.e., there is enough evidence to enable the assessor to judge your claimed competence.
The RPL assessment process is as rigorous (but no more or no less rigorous) as any other assessment. The type of evidence you are required to provide may vary from that required as a trainee being assessed as part of the course, but basically RPL is an assessment like any other assessment. If you are interested in applying for RPL for this course, please complete the ‘Apply for RPL/Credit Transfer Now!’ option on the menu and we will provide you with a individualised quote.
Requirements of Credit Transfer
To be eligible for a Credit Transfer you would need to answer ‘YES’ to the following questions:
- Have you a formal qualification/unit of competency that is recognised for the course?
- Do you hold the original copy of your qualification/academic record?
- Are you able to get the original copy certified and provide the certified copy in support of your credit transfer?
A credit transfer is a relatively quick process and awards you competence for any units you have already achieved through formal education that correspond with the specific requirements of a course. This means you do not have to ‘repeat’ any training you have already completed. The Australian Management Academy will help you determine if you have a valid claim to credit transfer and provide you with an email outlining the requirements to be provided, prior to be approved for a credit transfer.
If you are interested in applying for a credit transfer for this course, please complete the ‘Apply for RPL/Credit Transfer Now!’ option on the menu. Please note approval for credit transfer does not reduce the overall course fees.